Monday, April 2, 2012

Race Report: Malakoff 2012 - 17km

Date: 03/25/2012 7:00 AM
Type: Run (Race)
Distance: 16.84 km
Time: 1 hr 09 min 42 secs
Average pace: 4:08 min/km
Route: Malakoff 2012 17km
Shoes: Brooks Green Silence



Since 2008, Malakoff held two races in Malaysia each year. One in KL at the end of year, and another in Penang at the early of the year. In Penang, it had been 26km and another shorter distance (6-8km) race started off at Penang Youth Park, where the terrain are hilly and challenging. This year the organizer somehow decided for 17km and 7km, started off at Padang Kota Lama, with a relatively flat surface.

It's a tough question on which route is preferable. I was looking forward for 26km before the registration open. Challenging terrain profile, covered interesting part of Penang, provide a sense of accomplishment after the run. For this year's 17km route, it's almost the same as second part of Malakoff 26km, with flat surface that one can run at maximum pace and without thinking much of strategies.

0400- Woke up, breakfast.
0530- Drive to venue.
0600- Toilet
0625-Warm-up
0645- To starting line
0700- Race start

I started the race with shin splint on the left foot. It has been there for 2 weeks and I had to reduce training to prevent it worsen, just enough for me to get through this race.
A small-medium size event, it was not crowded from the start like a big event. After 2-3 min I started to take up the pace. I was hoping to achieve a 4:10/km-4:20/km pace. It could be due to the racing atmosphere, I forgot the pain on the foot.

I check the time at 5km and 9km water station and know I was at 4:10/km range. The pace was faster than my tempo pace and it was not easy for me. At times I feel tired and need to slow down to regain the rhythm. I paced behind a few runners to get some mental support. I found running behind runners at same pace is a good way to rest when feeling fatigue.

It was a busy route full with traffic. There were no divider between runners and vehicle on the road. It all depend on volunteer in making sure the runners are safe from traffic and heading the correct direction. Along with a few runners, we were scolded by a driver for running on the route in front of Island Plaza. Yea, we were crossing road like no body business because we don't know which way to go. The only place that free of traffic was after turning into Tesco up to the exit Jalan Tanjung Tokong.

I remember most the tiredness at 12-14km, running from Gurney Plaza towards Evergreen Laurel Hotel. I started to feel restless because it's few km to go. I was familiar with the route and that's why it make me even nervous. It's like "you know it but you just have to wait" kind of feeling. I think the important thing when running distance is patience, because endurance cannot translate mathematically into speed and vice verse. A 2km distance isn't mean you can achieve in 10x pace of a 20km.

Reached the end point in full speed. And... it's over. I walked to the finishing tent to collect buns, medal and Gatorade. This is what 10 weeks of training for? At least it showed improvement. The first time I ran at a pace like this. I'm not sure how it will be translated in 21km.

Ya if you ask me again, I think I would like to try a 26km route next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment